Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
Multiplayer Campaign Content Update
With this update, we are bringing back the much-loved Multiplayer Campaign Mode from previous games, adapted to the Vietnam War. The key features:
- Full 64-player Campaign Mode
- Play as the Northern or Southern forces battling for control region by region
- Fight from 1965 through 1975, with the forces and weapons available varying with the year
- Help select the region to compete for, the army to use and the actual map to fight over
- The Northern forces can choose to make strategic use of the Ho Chi Minh Trail option to bring stronger PAVN forces to bear
- The Southern forces can respond with carefully-timed use of the Search and Destroy option to cause the maximum damage to the enemy
- Fight over familiar maps with different armies, different Commander abilities and weapons, different attackers and defenders
- Help decide the fate of the war in Vietnam!
In addition, one more map from the RISING STORM 2: VIETNAM $40,000 Modding Contest makes it to an official release:
- Highway 14 - this massive map features the US Army fighting their way along a highway through difficult terrain, clearing objective after objective, with the NLF guerrillas trying to stop them.
As always, there are a large number of smaller updates, bug fixes and enhancements, this time including:
- Tripwire traps and tunnel spawns can be placed in more surface types, making them more useful in urban environments - it just takes longer to dig in concrete!
- The ARVN now get their own variant of ERDL camoflage, plus a tiger stripe boonie, while the US get Mitchell Cloud camo
- And, as a special request for a mapper, we have created a single sound effect for a clap of thunder, instead of the existing looping one. We hope you enjoy using it!
And finally, 3 other maps are out of beta, featuring updates driven by feedback from the players:
- Operation Forrest - the Territories version of this official map
- Firebase Georgina
- Border Watch
ARVN Content Update
This update adds the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) as a full playable faction in the game. The update also brings new weapons, specifically for the ARVN:
- M1 Garand
- M1D Garand Sniper Rifle
- Thompson M1A1 SMG
- M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
- M1919A6 .30-cal Browning LMG
- Douglas A-1 Skyraider ground-attack aircraft as a new Commander ability
There are also 2 new maps, showcasing the ARVN forces:
- Quang Tri: Set during 1972, Quang Tri is a daytime supremacy map set in the citadel of the provincial capital, pitting the new ARVN forces with limited US helicopter support against NVA main-force units.
- A Sau: Set on an airfield and fortified camp in the A Sau valley, this nighttime territory attack map finds ARVN forces defending against attacking NVA main-force units. Visibility is limited under the cover of darkness with occasional flares lighting up the battlefield.
In addition, the update also includes 3 maps, made by fans for the fans, from the RISING STORM 2: VIETNAM $40,000 Modding Contest, now being officially introduced to the game:
- Firebase Georgina: Daytime attack by main-force NVA on a series of positions held by the US Army.
- Borderwatch: Australian forces attack territory held by the NLF (Viet Cong), pushing through jungles and across open fields to the VC’s final hidden base.
- Resort: US Marines stage a heliborne assault from the sea on a resort area held by Viet Cong guerrillas.
About the GameRising Storm 2: Vietnam is the next in the series that has twice been PC Gamer’s ‘Multiplayer Game of the Year’, bringing the franchise into the era of automatic rifles, man-portable grenade launchers and more modern weapons systems. Still with the authentic look and feel and realistic weapon handling that the series is known for.
Continuing the Tripwire tradition of providing strong support for games post-launch, Vietnam has already been updated multiple times, providing the player with:
- 64-player battles
- 6 different armies to play, each with their own weapons and abilities:
- United States Army and Marine Corps
- North Vietnamese Army (PAVN) and National Liberation Front (Viet Cong)
- Australian Army
- Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN)
- Over 50 weapons, covering everything from rifles and pistols to flamethrowers and rocket launchers
- 4 flyable helicopters - Huey, Cobra, Loach and Bushranger
- Asymmetric warfare - VC traps and tunnels vs. US napalm and choppers
- More than 20 maps
- 3 distinct game-modes
- Proximity VOIP
- And hundreds of character customization options.
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam offers intense action for up to 64 players in battles between the forces of South Vietnam (the US and their Allies) and those of the North - the regular, main-force units of North Vietnamese Army, plus the guerilla fighters of the National Liberation Front (or Viet Cong).
SOUTHERN FORCES - US, Australian and ARVN
The Southern forces have firepower and mobility on their side, with each army having its own unique supporting arms:
- US Army/Marine Corps - airburst artillery, the Spooky gunship and napalm strikes
- Australian Army - Pair of Canberra bombers and heavy artillery
- ARVN - medium mortar barrage and napalm strikes from older A-1 Skyraiders
For mobility, they have access to full helicopter support:
- UH-1 “Huey”: provides rapid transport for a squad across the map
- OH-6 “Loach”: acts as both a spotter and airborne command post, as well as a fast gunship, with its miniguns
- AH-1G “Cobra”: heavily-armed gunship with massive firepower for a pilot and weapons officer
- Australian “Bushranger”: a Huey, with dual M60 machine guns, minigun and rockets
Tactically, the Southern squad leaders become important - so long as the squad leader is alive and in a smart location, the rest of his squad can spawn in on his location. So keep your squad leaders alive at critical moments!
As for weapons, the Southern forces had a wide range of the best weaponry of Western nations, ranging from older, WWII-era leftovers, through to the latest technology of the time:
- M1 Garand, M2 Carbine, M3 “grease gun”, BAR and M1919 .30-cal LMG
- M14 Battle Rifle, M40 and XM21 sniper rifles
- M60 LMG and M16 automatic rifle
- For heavier support - the M79 grenade launcher and M9A1-7 flamethrower
- Explosives - M61 frag grenade, M8 smoke, C4 explosives and M18 Claymore
NORTHERN FORCES - NVA and VC
The Northern forces offer a broader mix, with the People’s Army of Vietnam (PAVN - or NVA) as the regular, disciplined and better-equipped main fighting force, in comparison to the National Liberation Front (NLF) guerrilla fighters, equipped with whatever weaponry was passed down the chain to them from Russia and China - known as the Viet Cong. For supporting weapons each has:
- PAVN/NVA - heavy artillery, surface-to-air missile defenses and rapid reinforcement from the Ho Chi Minh trail
- NLF/VC - a mix of ordnances (mortars, rockets, white phosphorous) used in a heavy barrage
To compete with the Southern forces’ mobility, the Northern forces have their own mobility - and stealth:
- NVA and VC squad leaders can place spawn tunnels widely across the maps, allowing themselves and their squads to spawn much closer to the action - or even behind the lines
- Given their “home field advantage”, any NVA or VC crouching or prone in cover can’t be spotted by Southern helicopters or aircraft
- SA-2 Missiles - the quick way to counter Southern air assets is by calling on surface-to-air missiles, if the commander can time it right
- “Ho Chi Minh Trail” ability - the NVA/VC commander can activate this ability to accelerate his team’s spawning rate, when times get desperate
- “Ambush Spawn” ability - the NVA/VC commander can also cause anyone on his team who is waiting, to spawn on his location for potentially devastating ambushes.
The weaponry for the Northern forces is wide-ranging - the PAVN well-equipped with modern weapons delivered from Russia and China, while the VC have to work with a wide variety of weapons:
- AK-47 and Type 56 Assault rifles
- Russian SKS-45 and US M1 Carbines and Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle
- MN 91/30 and SVD sniper rifles
- PPSh-41 and French MAT-49 SMGs
- IZh-58 double-barrelled shotgun
- DP-28 and RPD LMGs
- RPG-7 rocket launcher
- MD-82 toe-popper mines, Tripwires and Punji traps
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Rear Echelon Cosmetic DLC
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Homeland Security Cosmetic DLC
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Southern Style Cosmetic DLC
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Born in the USA Cosmetic DLC
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Uncle Ho's Heroes Cosmetic DLC
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Man Down Under Cosmetic DLC
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Personalized Touch Cosmetic DLC
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Pulling Rank Cosmetic DLC
- RS2 Vietnam Soundtrack